Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irishly Blessed

We have had a great day here for St. Patrick's Day. We have carried on many traditions while others didn't quite fit in this year, but hey, there is always tomorrow (it can be a two day celebration right?). The girls have been out half day all week and so it has thrown my schedule for a complete loop. But here is what we have done so far...
Everybody is wearing green although I think that there has been some pinching going on anyway!
The girls got new headbands this year, Madison is wearing one that she got at school and she got a hand stamp of a shamrock.
The few decorations and handmade things from the girls that I have are out (I'm hoping to clean up the clearance section at Target and Michael's tomorrow!) And "The Night Before St. Patrick's Day" was read yesterday as well as read in Kaley's class by her teacher.
We have had lots of playing around too.
Neil made dinner. Now I know what you are thinking, "what are you wierdos eating?!" This year we had fettuccine alfredo with chicken. The noodles were dyed green as well as the alfredo sauce, and then salad with green ranch dressing. I guess that it's a good thing that the chicken and the cheese were not green... that would have been just plain yucky! It might seem odd that we have Italian food on an Irish holiday but that is because it is more kid-friendly. Next year Neil promises that we can have something Irish, and the kids will just have to deal with it, although he hates Corned Beef and Cabbage.
I even got a few shots of all four kids together which is an amazing victory. I don't have any of Neil and I yet but the day isn't over. We still haven't had dessert yet and I am hoping to make my sweet shamrock treats for the girls tomorrow after school since I ran out of time today.
We also continued our tradition of watching Veggie Tales "Sumo of the Opera". Why?... you ask.... because there is a segment in there that is a flannelgraph of the story of St. Patrick and his journey through life in which he trusted in God and brought Christianity to the country of Ireland. We try to remind the kids that today is not just about wearing green, or pinching, or leprachauns and gold, but about having the courage to tell others about God and trusting that he will take care of us no matter where we are or what we are going through.

And I am almost done with a scrapbook page! Can't wait to finish it and share!

No comments:

Pages