Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cloud 9

I like to give myself little challenges now and then, when it comes to scrapbooking anyway. Life not so much! The challenge that I gave myself last week was to create a mini album with only the Sassafras products that I had in my room. No shopping, no new stuff, just use up what I have on hand. I did have to go and take some new pictures but that doesn't count... right?
Giving myself this challenge forced me to do crazy things like mix patterns that I normally wouldn't put together, or create my own embellishments by cutting out little scraps of paper. I know, crazy!
Here is one example, this flower originally had an orange center. But orange didn't look good to me so I added a brown and then a pink button on top of it to cover up the orange. Voila!
This chipboard album is one that I had sitting in my room for a long time now, I picked it up at Michael's for a dollar. On this page I misted the chipboard background with blue and used a couple of masks that I made myself. There is a subtle swirl pattern on the left and the right.
It was fun to mix and match these different papers and stickers. And I love to detail cut things too and this background is misted with white so it looks like a silvery cloud!
The journaling spot here was created with a Sassafras stamp that I colored in with markers. The strip on the left is one of the Sassafras border strips that I accordian folded to give it some texture.
I love to use pretty packaging whenever I can! And most of the Sassafras embellishments and stamps come with a background that is thick and ledger printed. I love it so much! This was the scrap from when I punched out a tab edge using my Tim Holtz Sizzix die and my Big shot. I loved the section in the middle so I kept it and it created the perfect place for this little strip of plums cut from another sheet of paper.
I love to use up scraps and I have had a ton laying around my counter over the last week. It's a great way to clean up too!
This page didn't need much embellishment because the paper that I used to cover the chipboard was so pretty and it worked perfectly for Kaley's name. I just added a little decorative border strip.
There is just something about lined papers that makes me happy! Maybe it's the organizer in me, I don't know, but this is one of my favorites.

The back of the album was creating with a layer of paint first and then adding layers of chalk ink until it was the shade of turquoise that I wanted. I added a little hand cut cloud and some layer stickers. Note: the only thing in this album that isn't Sassafras is the letter stickers... those are Thickers by American Crafts.

No comments:

Pages